Hurricane Season Cruising…..Is it for you? [republished/revisited]
Do you have the right mojo for a cruise during hurricane season? Historically speaking, your cruise most likely will not encounter hurricane conditions. But, are you ready? In the words of NY’s Mr. Bloomberg regarding the most recent hurricane, Irene, “prepare for the worst, hope for the best”.
Pre-Cruise Prep during hurricane season-
This means travel insurance really should be top priority on your vacation list, #1. Be aware (or beware) that the itinerary that you booked could possibly be subject to change due to weather conditions. It is a reality that you should be aware of when you cruise during hurricane season. You will not be compensated for missed ports. *Read your cruise contracts.
If you are booking air or train transportation to a port of embarkation (ie; Florida or Puerto Rico), do NOT travel the day of your cruise. Book your travel for the day before your cruise embarks. This limits stress and any questionable and unpredictable weather conditions. And secures that you will not miss the ship. Again, we strongly encourage you to take out Travel Protection Insurance.
Up On the Bridge-
The Master of the Ship will, at all costs avoid going into a hurricane or tropical storm. Modern ships are all equipped with the latest technology that monitors weather. Since a ship moves faster than a storm, a ship can veer off into different directions or, outwit and move faster than the storm to keep in front of it. Armed with this information can help you decide if you have the MOJO to cruise during Hurricane season (June-November, respectively)
If you are cruising during hurricane season, even the most well seasoned cruisers should contemplate packing an anti-seasickness remedy. They range from Bonnine to the pressure point sea bands you wear on your wrist to natural remedy- Ginger pills. We have found ginger pills to be a miracle. Even if the Captain changes the direction of your ship, you can still experience rough seas.
Take control and monitor the weather and your cruiseline announcements. You should telephone your cruiseline and question them. Most Important, BE PREPARED.
Is Cruising For YOU?
Cruising is for everyone. The old-world charm and grandeur of ocean liners lead many to have a skewed view of what a modern cruise will be. Cruising the vast ocean in high style when ladies wore their finest still exists, but as soon as you step foot onto a cruise ship these days, the choice is yours. Whether you go high style and formal and relive the bygone era that my Grand Parents lived or you toss the gowns and baubles overboard for the duration of your vacation. Cruise lines offer passengers everything. If you’re not feeling the main dining room, check out the buffets and room service for a casual evening at your own pace.
Here I tell you the Top “WHY’S”;
Why a Cruise is the best choice of travel.
Unpack once. We classify this under “Luxury”. You might not realize it until you experience it but there is nothing more appreciated when travelling from place to place to only have to unpack one time! Ahhh, “Luxury”, even for the un-spoiled.
- Lose the hassle of living out of your tiny 24×15 case and hailing taxi transportation as you effort to go from place to place- city to city or plane hop island to Caribbean Island. Sounds tiring, doesn’t it? It is tiring and you often wonder why you need a vacation from your vacation. Cruising allows you a wonderful nightlife on board as your cruise ship takes you to your next port of call. The simplicity of cruising allows the passenger to visit multiple places without the hassles or arranging transportation to and from each place you visit.
- Cruising is a wonderful value for your dollar. Both the budget-minded and luxury traveler have ample choices of stateroom. Inside staterooms suit some, where suites and staterooms with balconies suit others. Cruise lines are even getting savvy to the SOLO Traveler and single accommodations are emerging. Included in your Cruise Fare- deliciously prepared Food, Top notch Entertainment you might not be able to afford at home, and transportation to each island. Alcohol, soda packages, Internet, professional pictures, specialty restaurants and excursions are an additional cost if you have interest there. Then, of course there are Luxury Cruise Lines that offer all-inclusive which typically will include your Lattes, alcohol and even sparkling water.
- Ports of Call, Yeah! Where can you go to sleep in one country and wake up in another? ‘Nuff said! Imagine yourself trekking around and visiting ancient ruins like El Morro one day and the next waking up to a NEW port of call to go snorkeling while visiting the perfect white sand beach and top reef’s! It just can’t be done at a land based resort or all inclusive. Cruising…..there is a mystique about it, AI’s cannot compete.
- Downtime. You create your holiday away on a Cruise. Do as much or as little as you want. Bingo, no bingo. Learn how to napkin fold, or not. There is usually a fun Scavenger hunt, is this for you? Or, as CruiseDivaNJ likes to do, find the perfect lounge chair for your day at Sea and R E L A X, before that SPA appointment.
- Kids Clubs & activities– and don’t forget the kids! Not only are there kids clubs, but that Rock Wall is not just for the adults.
How many more WHY’S do you need to book your Cruise holiday?